Section Navigation

PREVENTion of Radicalisation

PREVENT Lead at Comberton Village College is:

Mr David Clarke – Deputy Principal -

We are all here to protect students and young people from harm. It can be hard to know when extreme views become something dangerous. And the signs of radicalisation are not always obvious.

It might be nothing, it might be something. But whatever you are worried about, here is some information and links to resources to help.

Radicalisation is the process by which a person comes to support terrorism and extremist ideologies. If you are worried someone close to you is becoming radicalised act early and seek help. The sooner you reach out, the quicker we can protect the person you care about from being groomed and exploited by extremists.

Police forces across the country have specially trained Prevent Officers who work alongside other organisations through a Home Office programme called Prevent to help people vulnerable to radicalisation move away from violent extremism.

Friends and family are best placed to spot the signs, so trust your instincts.

Radicalisation can be very difficult to spot. Signs that may indicate a child is being radicalised include:

  • Social withdrawal and isolation
  • Difficult and moody behaviour
  • Increased internet use
  • New friends, clothing, change of appearance
  • Loss of interest in activities they used to enjoy
  • Following extremist material through social media
  • Resentment to authority figures and “use” vs “them” mentality.
  • Increasingly secretive
  • Inappropriate language
  • Scripted speech
  • Intolerance to views of others

To find out more about how to help someone close to you below are some resources to provide guidance and support:

Staff at Comberton Village College are trained on PREVENTion of Radicalisation to be aware of the threat, spotting the signs and how to report any concerns.

Report a Concern

If you are concerned about a student or young person at Comberton Village College email the PREVENT Lead, David Clarke and If this is of an urgent matter, please call 101 or in an emergency always call 999.

You can also find E-safety PREVENT information here.